500by12

Chronicling the books we read to our children (and perhaps the books they read themselves). Can we read 500 before they turn 12? Only time will tell.

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Bridging the Gap

One obstacle to our nightly reading time is that Jaymie, age 7, is an experienced reader and listener, while Julia, age 4, is still mostly a picture book listener. This means that Kristen and I both need to be available to read if we are going to read to them before bed, since the girls don't like it if they are left out of a reading time, even if they get a turn later.

The past couple of nights, I've tried reading Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary to Julia. She'll sit through a chapter, and complain if I suggest that we read something easier, but I'm not sure that she's getting much out of the experience. I'm not entirely certain how to proceed. It would be nice if I could occasionally read a book to Jaymie and Julia together, but I don't want Julia to have to sit through a story that she's not ready for.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:29 PM, January 30, 2005, Blogger Amira said…

    I have read books to my boys that they they don't quite understand, and I think it is worthwhile. They hear new words and know that there are other interesting books out there to look forward to. It's nice to have them listen to a book together. And sometimes it's fun for my older son to hear a "younger" book, just for fun, that his little brother enjoys.

    Of course, I don't make either of them listen to something they don't want to if it's not age appropriate.

     
  • At 10:39 PM, January 30, 2005, Blogger Bryce said…

    Tonight I asked Julia if she would like to me to read from Beezus and Ramona again, and she flatly refused. If Jaymie isn't there, she's not really interested in non-picture books. At this point, I'm not inclined to press the issue with her, since she's only 4, and especially not during her one-on-one reading time. On the occasional nights when I have to read to the two girls together, however, I may split the difference between them, rather than read strictly at Julia's comfort level.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home