500by12

Chronicling the books we read to our children (and perhaps the books they read themselves). Can we read 500 before they turn 12? Only time will tell.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Movies from books

I'm still reading to Jaymie and Julia together. For our next book, I decided to get a couple of books that have been made into movies: L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz and Walter Farley's The Black Stallion. The vote was for The Wizard of Oz, so that's what we are reading.

I have never read the book before -- it's a great read-aloud, with short chapters, but a long sustained narrative. The girls have never seen the movie, so they don't have any preconceived notions of how the characters look or sound. I'm not sure if I'll let them see the movie after we're finished -- the girls are awfully sensitive to scary scenes in movies, and The Wizard of Oz is famously terrifying.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:11 AM, May 19, 2005, Blogger Jen said…

    We've read the first three Oz books and Hayley has loved them.

    I agree with you about scary movies...she gets scared watching Lilo & Stitch but she can handle the violence in the Oz books.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home