500by12

Chronicling the books we read to our children (and perhaps the books they read themselves). Can we read 500 before they turn 12? Only time will tell.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Reading, May 5, 2005

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, we did nothing in particular.

I did finish reading The Silver Chair to Jaymie. She was very excited to read this book -- every night she would pester me to read to her. Since she's not swimming early in the morning for the next few weeks, I let her stay up a little later than usual so we could get our reading in. Jaymie has enjoyed all of the Narnia books so far.

I read The Cat in the Hat Comes Back to Julia tonight at her request. She has been enjoying hearing poems from Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends as well. Last night we read Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathman. It's one of my favorite picture books as well.

Stanley continues to love Bright House, Night House.

Kristen hasn't been feeling well, so I've been reading to both of the girls, meaning that they get less reading time individually than when we split up so Kristen reads to one of them and I read to the other. I'm going to try to find something they can both listen to together, since things aren't going to improve much once the baby comes. Jen at Time for Reading suggested My Father's Dragon. Jaymie has heard and read this several times, but I'm sure she would enjoy it again. Julia has heard this book on tape before, so maybe this might work.

I picked up Hank the Cowdog on tape and in book form at a used book sale recently. The girls have both enjoyed hearing this book during their quiet time. They've started quoting from it. I've never read it, so I don't have much else to say about it. I noticed that there are many books in the series, so we may get some more of these.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, May 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hailey and Savannah have listened to Hank the Cow Dog on tape and absolutely loved it! I heard excerpts from some of the books and they were very amusing. They liked all the ones in the series that they listened to. It comes highly recommended from those two!

    Heidi

     
  • At 12:02 PM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Allison said…

    Elizabeth and Phoebe love Hank the Cowdog, too. Officer Buckle and Gloria is great, but if you haven't read The Day the Babies Crawled Away, you need to (it's also by Peggy Rathman). It's especially good for a toddler/preschooler with a baby in the house -- empowering, but sweet. One of our all-time favorites.

     
  • At 2:22 PM, May 16, 2005, Blogger Bryce said…

    Thanks for the recommendation, Allison. We'll check it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home